Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Messages in Song

What is it that encourages us in our lives? For me it is singing old-time hymns. From the time I was about three years old, I've been singing hymns and Christian songs. There are messages in these hymns that reach deep down into the heart of us, if we listen. There are words of comfort for a broken heart or a hurting soul. There are words that uplift and encourage us to keep going when we're weary. There are songs to be sung of praise and thanksgiving to a God who knows it all and holds us closely in His keeping.

I know of nothing else, other than the Bible, that speaks so loudly to my spirit. Whatever the emotion within me, there is a message that comes to me in song. In the wee hours of the darkness, when sleep doesn't come, a song will play through me, soothing me as a lullabye, giving me rest. When there's joy unspeakable, a song will rise from within and float across the air to my ears, bringing even more joy to my life.

I am so grateful to those who have put their words on paper, with melodies, that hundreds of years later, I might sing those very words to myself and to others. What a wonderful blessing and a marvelous tool the Lord has bestowed to us in His gift of music to us!

May I sing to His glory every moment, whether audibly or silently within the confines of my heart. Thank you, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment